Since 2012, we have worked to promote the history of PO Box 1142, and to improve interpretive and recreational resources at Fort Hunt Park.
The Friends of Fort Hunt Park, Inc. (FFHPI) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and enhancing the park’s historic, natural and recreational resources and interpreting its rich history. FFHPI and the George Washington Memorial Parkway signed a formal agreement making FFHPI the official friends’ group for Fort Hunt Park.
Contributions to Fort Hunt Park
- Peer reviewed PO Box 1142 oral history transcripts. Learn more about the oral history project here.
- Purchased a NPS arrowhead for Picnic Pavilion A.
- Donated a new sound system equipment for use in Picnic Pavilion A for summer concerts and other events held at the park.
- Host annual volunteer clean up events to preserve the historic batteries and improve the recreational resources of the park.
- Promote community events at Fort Hunt Park and along the George Washington Memorial Parkway.